Have you ever encountered the Error Code 80070103 while trying to update your Windows operating system? This error code can be frustrating, as it prevents you from updating your system and potentially leaving you vulnerable to security risks. In this article, we’ll explain what Error Code 80070103 is, why it occurs, and how you can fix it.
What is Error Code 80070103?
Error Code 80070103 is an error that occurs when you try to install updates on your Windows operating system. This error message typically appears on Windows 10, but it can also occur on older versions of the operating system. The error message may read: “Windows Update encountered an unknown error: Code 80070103.”
Why does Error Code 80070103 occur?
The Error Code 80070103 occurs when the Windows Update service tries to install a device driver update that has already been installed on your system. When this happens, the Windows Update service will not allow the installation of the same update, resulting in the error code.
How to fix Error Code 80070103?
There are several methods you can try to fix Error Code 80070103. Here are some of the most effective solutions:
Method 1: Hide the problematic update
One of the easiest ways to fix Error Code 80070103 is to hide the update that’s causing the problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Windows Update settings page by searching for “Windows Update” in the Start menu.
- Click on “Advanced options” and then click on “View your update history”.
- Find the update that’s causing the error and take note of the KB number associated with it.
- Go back to the Windows Update settings page and click on “Advanced options” again.
- Under “Choose when updates are installed,” click on “Advanced options.”
- Toggle on the “Pause updates” option.
- Click on “Optional updates” and select the update that you want to hide.
- Click on the “Download and install” button to install all other available updates.
- Once all other updates have been installed, click on “Resume updates” to continue receiving updates, except the one that you have hidden.
Method 2: Manually install the update
If hiding the update doesn’t work, you can try manually installing it. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Search for the update that’s causing the error by entering the KB number associated with it.
- Click on the download link that matches your version of Windows.
- Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
Method 3: Update the driver manually
If the problematic update is a device driver, you can try updating the driver manually. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the device manufacturer’s website.
- Search for the latest driver for your device.
- Download and install the driver.
Error Code 80070103 can be frustrating, but it’s not a critical error that can cause serious problems. By using the methods outlined above, you should be able to fix the problem and continue updating your Windows operating system without any further issues. If you’re still experiencing problems, you may want to consider seeking help from a professional or contacting Microsoft support.