How to Change Series Name in Excel
Microsoft Excel is a versatile program with a lot of ways to analyze and show data. Changing the names of the series is an important part of showing data well in Excel charts. By changing the names of series, users can better understand and make sense of data, which makes it easier for them to share correct information. This article will show you step-by-step how to change the names of series in Excel. This will help you make better use of your data.
When we create any kind of chart in Excel or a spreadsheet, the name for the data series is often obtained by default. But it is often embarrassing to see the value or data as the name of a series, isn’t it? Okay, now that you’ve read this article, you can learn how to change series names in Excel. You can see data series at the bottom of a chart or graph. If you go through each paragraph of this article, you can overcome the problem mentioned, which was actually changing the series name in a chart or graph without editing the row or column name. So let’s start…
Follow the step-by-step instructions given below to change series names in Excel:
Step 1: Open Excel and select the chart or graph that contains the series names you want to modify.
Step 2: Select the chart by clicking on it. There will be a border around the chart to show that it is the selected one.
Step 3: Click the right side of the series whose name you wish to change. A context menu will appear.
Step 4: From the context menu, go to the “Select Data…” option. This action will open the “Select Data Source” dialog box.
Step 5: Inside the “Select Data Source” dialog box, locate the series whose name you want to modify under the “Legend Entries (Series)” section.
Step 6: Press the “Edit” button next to the series name. This will highlight the current name, allowing you to modify it.
Step 7: Enter the required new name for the series in the “Series name” field. (suppose, your desired name is “Dhaka” in exchange of “September”)
Step 8: After typing the new name “Dhaka,” click the “OK” button to confirm the change and close the dialog box.
(Keep in mind that the series name can be connected to a cell when the original series name is cleared.)
Step 9: Keep going through steps 5 to 8 for any additional series names you want to modify.
Step 10: Lastly, review the chart to make sure that the series names have been successfully changed.
Techniques for best Naming Series:
When it is required to rename series in Excel, there are a few tips and best practices to keep in mind. These strategies will assist you in making clear and meaningful series names for your charts and graphs. Here are some tricks to know about naming series:
- Keep it Descriptive: Use names that do a good job of describing the data that each series is showing. Names that are clear and explain what they mean make it easier for other people to understand the information in the chart.
- Be Concise: It’s important for series names to be detailed, but they also need to be short. The chart can be hard to read if the names are too long or complicated. Try to come up with short names that say what the info is about.
- Eleminate Ambiguity: Make sure that the names of the series are clear and don’t cause misunderstandings. Data can be misread if the names aren’t clear. If you need to tell two similar series apart, use specific words or add more details.
- Use Labels or Legends: Use labels or legends within the chart to provide additional context if the series names are insufficient to convey all of the information. When working with complicated datasets or numerous series, this can be useful.
- Test and review: Before you decide on the final names for your series, test the chart to make sure that the names match the data and send the right message. To avoid mistakes or confusion, it is important to check the chart to make sure it is clear and correct.
By using these tips, you can make well-named series that make your Excel charts easier to understand and more powerful. Don’t forget that meaningful series names make it easier to understand and analyze data, which leads to better data communication.
We’ve discussed how to change series names in Excel. You just learned how to change the names of series in Excel and how to change their numbers in this post. This short but informative guideline should help you find what you are looking for. Use these tips to get the most out of your Excel tour. We believe it has been an insightful learning opportunity.